From the End of the Spring Semester to the Graduation

The end of the semester arrived like a thief and I don't even remember how I managed it. I attended graduation ceremony as I usually do at the end of the Spring Semester. It took place on Saturday, April 25th, 2009, in Abbotsford Pentecostal Assembly. I was going to attend only evening one which starts at 6:30 pm. But, I ended up being there all day, because a few students wanted me to come to the earlier one at 9:30 am and 2 pm.

Because I had to be in the church before 9:30 am, I decided to stay in a hotel in Abbotsford Friday night. I stayed at Super 8 Motel near Abbotsford bus depot over night. I tried to eat some authentic Chinese food. But, I was almost 100 percent sure that it was impossible in Abbotsford. I wanted to finish supper quickly around the hotel and snooze after that because I had to rise early the following morning. I found Spaghetti Factory restaurant and decided to eat there. In my understanding, it's more North American than Italian cuisine. But, I went there because I had no other choice.

As I entered, a waitress seated me as in any other Spaghetti Factory in many different towns. However, I noticed a slight difference. I found one big table spoon with fork and knife. The spoon is designed to be used with a folk for rolling pasta before placing it into their mouse. Most other Spaghetti Factory do not serve a spoon because they expect their customers in the North American way. In North American way of eating, customers chopped off the pasta before eating.

I ordered Spaghetti Meatball and Minestrone Soup. Surprisingly, Spaghetti Factory in Abbotsford is more Italian than any other branches of the same company. Pasta is very solid and not overcooked. Soup is as spiced up as typical Italian restaurants in Vancouver.


The grad ceremonies were held at 9:30 AM, 2:00 PM and 6:30 PM. I went to the church from my hotel by taxi before 9:00 AM. I attended the earlier service because I was invited by one of my former students. I didn't wear faculty's regalia and sat on a pew as an audience during the first and the second service. Because of this, I enjoyed a freedom to manoeuvre with a big camera and take as many pictures as I could. The sanctuary is very dark and I had to take pictures from a distance. I regret that I didn't buy a telescopic lens and external flash, so that I could produce clear pictures from the place I was sitting. (I hope the prices of these items go down within a year, so that I can use them next year).

In the last service at 6:30 PM, I wore the regalia and was taken some photos with graduates. I greeted quite a few graduates and acquainted with their families. Chances are high that I never see them again before going to the presence of God. But, I hope I see them again somewhere on this planet before ascending to the kingdom of God.


Last updated Jun. 1st, 2009 at 11:36pm by Isao Ebihara