FC EDMONTON'S PAUL HAMILTON HAS A LITTLE HELP FROM ABOVE

Paul Hamilton

FC EDMONTON'S PAUL HAMILTON HAS A LITTLE HELP FROM ABOVE
By Marc Weber - Vancouver Province - LINK to Story

LANGLEY, British Columbia — Before Wednesday’s game at B.C. Place, as he does every game, Edmonton defender Paul Hamilton will take a marker to his soccer boots and inscribe the initials “M.H.”

Hamilton’s younger brother, Mark, died five-and-a-half years ago when his car hit a patch of black ice and spun out of control.

Mark was on his way to Kamp Kiwanis, north of the family home in Calgary, to work with underprivileged children.

“It’s just something I do now,” Hamilton said of the tribute; he also has his brother’s initials tattooed on his wrist.

“Just to always think about him. Hopefully he’s watching the game, wherever he may be.”

Mark’s passing brought Hamilton to B.C.

Hamilton grew up in Calgary, playing for the Foothills Soccer Club, then spent his freshman season with the Cape Breton University Capers in Sydney, N.S.

Following the accident, he transferred to Langley’s Trinity Western University on compassionate grounds, to be closer to home.

With the Spartans, he was a three-time Canada West all-star, a two-time CIS all-Canadian and was named CIS player of the year in 2009.

Hamilton also spent time in the Whitecaps organization, playing for their USL Premier Development League side in 2009.

Getting a chance to play in front of thousands of fans at B.C. Place, in such a big game, is a thrill.

“It’s going to be amazing,” said Hamilton, 24. “I talked to all my old friends, old coaches, they’re all going to come out. It’s always a great feeling for old coaches to see you at the next level.

“I wouldn’t have traded my experience at Trinity for anything. Right out of high school, I wasn’t ready to take the next step and Trinity was that stepping stone. I had a great few years there and we were unfortunate not to win a national championship.”

Last Updated: 2012-05-09
Author: Mark Janzen