CAROL HOFER PROMOTED TO ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS – ADMINISTRATION

SPARTAN ATHLETICS (ANNOUNCEMENT)
TUESDAY, JULY 6, 2010
POSITION PROMOTION

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CAROL HOFER PROMOTED TO ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS – ADMINISTRATION  

LANGLEY, British Columbia –
Trinity Western University Director of Athletics Murray Hall announced the promotion of Carol Hofer from Manager of Athlete Services & Compliance to Assistant Director of Athletics – Administration Tuesday.

Hofer, who graduated from TWU in 1992, joins Julie Ratzlaff – who has been the Assistant Director of Athletics – Operations since 2007 – and Hall on a Spartan Leadership Team.

"The leadership of Spartan Athletics just got stronger with the promotion of Carol,” Hall said. “Carol is a maximizer who is focused on excellence. She is strategic in her thinking and takes command and ownership of any project she begins. Carol's competitive spirit and natural leadership gifts make her a perfect fit for this kind of position in high performance sport.”

Hofer’s new role will have her oversee all Canada West and CIS compliance and administrative responsibilities, the therapy portion of TWU’s Complete Champion Approach™, all team and departmental travel arrangements and the Spartans swimming and hockey teams.

“I am excited to take on more of a leadership role within the department and help Spartan Athletics continue to be a top program in the CIS,” Hofer said. “Working with the tremendous coaches and support staff at TWU is an honour and I am proud to be a part of the team.  As the department grows, I am pleased to be able to use my skills to support the new coaches and continue in my support of the existing teams.

“This expanded role will be good for me to continue to develop my leadership skills and challenge me in areas of personnel management, budget oversight and long term planning.”

Hofer has been a Spartan since coming to the Langley based university in 1988 where she played on the volleyball team for four years, including garnering 1st Team All Conference honours in 1990 and All Canadian honours in 1992.

After graduating from TWU in 1992 with a BA in Physical Education, Hofer left TWU for nearly seven years before returning in the fall of 1999 to become the head coach of the women’s volleyball team. Hofer continued in that role until 2006 – with one year off in 2003 to be with her family while her husband Ryan took over the position – when she decided to give the sideline duties entirely to Ryan so she could spend more time with her kids.

Soon after stepping down from her head coaching role, Hofer became involved in helping TWU in the sports administration department before eventually being hired as the Manager of Athlete Services and Compliance in 2008.

“Trinity Western University is an amazing place to work and it’s kind of like once a Spartan, always a Spartan,” she said. “If you look at how many alumni are still working at TWU, I think that says a lot about the quality of the school and the people who work here.  I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now.”

About TWU:

Trinity Western University, located in Langley, B.C., is a not-for-profit Christian liberal arts university enrolling over 4,000 students this year. With a broad based, liberal arts and sciences curriculum, the University offers undergraduate degrees in 41 major areas of study ranging from business, education and computer science to biology and nursing, and 17 other graduate degrees including counselling psychology, theology and administrative leadership. For more information, visit TWU's Official Athletics site at gospartans.ca.

About Canadian Interuniversity Sport:

Canadian Interuniversity Sport is the national governing body of university sport in Canada. Fifty-two universities, 10,000 student-athletes and 550 coaches vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. The CIS also provides high performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, and 32 World University Championships. For further information, visit www.universitysport.ca.

About CWUAA:

"Canada West is consistently the most decorated of the four conferences in Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), winning at least 10 CIS national titles every year since 1997-98. Comprised of 13 schools, from Manitoba to B.C., the CWUAA produces numerous major award winners and Academic All-Canadian student-athletes each year, with many going on to athletic success around the globe in events such as the Olympics or Universiade Games."

-TW-

Last Updated: 2010-07-06
Author: Mark Janzen