Doug van Spronsen

Playing With Passion

Hailing from Dawson Creek, BC, Doug van Spronsen is currently in his second year at TWU, having transferred to play for the Spartans last season after playing one year at Grande Prairie Regional College. Van Spronsen averaged 1.98 kills (on .405 hitting) and 1.03 blocks in the Spartans’ 2004-05 CIS Silver Medal season, providing many thrills along the way with his impassioned playing style.

Highlights and experiences the past year: The past year has been amazing for me. It was a tremendous change from the college level, both athletically and for me as a person. Trinity Western is an incredible school and one that I am very proud to say that I attend.  Highlights so far athletically have been varied, but our appearance at the CIS Nationals Final and subsequent silver medal was a fantastic experience. Scholastic-wise TWU has proven to be a very positive experience with sincere professors who care about you as a person.

Goals and aspirations: I aspire to complete my Business degree here at TWU, and then on to a job in the marketing sector after that. Spiritually, I want to continue to let God challenge me, changing my perceptions of this world I live in so that I can actively influence others. As far as volleyball goes, I plan on finishing my five years at Trinity Western to give back what it has given me, and then take it as far as it will go, be that playing professionally in Europe or otherwise.

Experience with the Canadian Men’s National A-2 Team this summer: Playing with the national team this past summer was a great experience once again, and a tremendous opportunity to learn under intense competition. It was another step up from CIS and the Junior National team from past years—the speed picks up and the game is taken to another level. Playing against the Dutch National Team that has professional and Olympic experience in front of huge crowds was an exhilarating feeling.

Failing to make the FISU team was a very difficult feeling no doubt. But it was an honour to be even asked to be on the team in my second year [in the CIS], and I will never complain about spending half the summer representing my country. I don’t have much to be upset about; I will still have two cracks at FISU in the upcoming years.

His role on the team and what’s different about the team this year: My role on the court is to contribute defensively and offensively and to use my speed in the middle. Emotionally I love to help channel our team’s energy into a competitive focus that takes us to another level of play. I believe we are at our best when we are playing with confidence in ourselves and our teammates, and through intensity we can foster such feelings. Compared to last year, our team is much the same personnel-wise, with only the departure of Jaben and Jon, and only the additions of Mark, John, and Andrew, so our team chemistry hasn’t changed at all, and our goals remain the same. Having all grown a year older however, as well as National team experiences for many of our guys this past summer have helped us grow individually and as a team, which will help us grow stronger this year as we push for CIS gold.

What he’s passionate about: I am passionate about life, and what an opportunity it is to be grasped. We live in amazing world with unlimited options to explore, and I want to experience as much as I can.

Last Updated: 2008-01-10
Author: Scott Stewart

JoinSpartans
canadawestTV
Ticket Info
twitter
Facebook
YouTUBE

Upcoming

DateGameTime
MS10-10VICTORIA19:00:00
MV10-10THOMPSON RIVERS20:00:00