Dayna JansenVanDoorn

Dayna Jansen VanDoorn

Trusting in God’s Plan

(middle, 6’4”, 2nd yr, Education) 

Spartan women’s volleyball features what is surely one of the deepest middle blocker positions in the country, rotating no less than four—all 6’1” or taller and capable of providing an instant threat offensively or defensively—through the lineup while no doubt causing numerous headaches for the opposition. A key contributor is the tallest of the quartet, second-year Dayna Jansen VanDoorn.

JVD was already making an impact in her first year, but this year has shown that she will be one of the dominant middles in the country, perhaps sooner than people thought. Already this season she has recorded highs of 14 kills (on 42.3% hitting), 4 blocks and 1 service ace—all against UBC on November 19th, a hard-fought 3-1 loss for the Spartans.

Why did you choose TWU?
I think it partly had to do with the fact that my brother was attending, but also because I had the opportunity to come and play either basketball or volleyball. TWU has an amazing reputation both athletically and academically. Now I know that this is where I am supposed to be. It’s just the right place for me.  

What is some community service/volunteer work you’ve done, and what has it meant to you?
I have had the opportunity to coach volleyball and basketball at my high school. It was a way for me to help others excel in their skills and was truly a learning experience. I was able to have an influence on young kids both on and off the court. I also coached a bantam FVVC club team this past year. Although everything didn’t always go as planned, it all worked out with the team in the end. It was definitely an experience to grow from.  

What are some ministry/missions experiences you’ve had, and what have they meant to you?
For my whole high school career I was a part of a youth group run through my church. I didn't have the opportunity to go on any long distance missions work, but I was able to attend a mission to downtown Vancouver. The first time I went it was such an eye-opening experience that I had to go again. We spent one week in downtown Vancouver and saw things going on that were unimaginable. I realized that I take my family and life for granted. I have been blessed with so much that most of the people living on the streets don't have access to. It was an amazing opportunity and if I was given that chance again I would gladly be a part of it.  

What is your favorite Bible verse, and why?
Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” I like this verse because it is a comfort and encouragement to me in my walk with the Lord and the direction He is taking me. I don't know what I want to do with my life, but this verse encourages me that God has a plan for me. This past summer I have had to rely on this passage, and be patient with God and what He has in plan for me. Sometimes I don’t know why things happen, but through this verse I am able to find comfort.  

What are your athletic goals at TWU?
I plan to work really hard to become an outstanding athlete mentally and physically. I intend to push myself to the extreme. I want to serve God through my volleyball career and it is my goal to win one, if not more, national championships with the TWU women's volleyball team.  

What is your career ambition?
I am uncertain as to what I want to do with my life. I want to do something that involves children and sports. At this point I am leaning toward the sports and leisure management stream of the TWU HKIN department.  

Who has been the biggest influence in your life, and why?
My whole family. They have pushed me to where I am today. Without them I don't know where I would be.  

What advice would you give to youngsters?
Don't give up on your dreams! Strive to be what you want to be and don't settle for less than what you deserve.  

What was the greatest moment in your life?
So far it has been winning nationals in 2004 in Moncton, New Brunswick with the Fraser Valley Blitz! But after this summer, it would be the opportunity to play on the Canada Summer Games Team. It was truly a life changing experience. I learned so much about myself both on and off the court. Even though we didn't do as well as we could have, it was an unreal opportunity to have!

List the top 5 people you admire.
My mom my dad...for all their time and effort that they have put into my life and their unconditional love...Lisa...my best friend since I was born who is always there for me...and my brothers and sister who mean the world to me.

Last Updated: 2008-01-10
Author: Scott Stewart

JoinSpartans
canadawestTV
Ticket Info
twitter
Facebook
YouTUBE

Upcoming

DateGameTime
MS10-10VICTORIA19:00:00
MV10-10THOMPSON RIVERS20:00:00