Jeff Stel

Jeff Stel (6'4",Outside Hitter, 4th yr, HKIN)

Three Play

Jeff Stel has become a steady contributor for the Spartans over the past few years, his value no more apparent than at the CIS National Tournament last season. In their opening match against York, Stel led the Spartans to victory with 13 kills, 7 digs, 7 blocks and 2 service aces. In their next match, against the defending national champion Saskatchewan Huskies, Stel was a force once again (8 kills, 2 digs, 1 block) as the Spartans played a near perfect match to sweep 3-0. After recording 13 kills, 10 digs and 6 blocks in the spectacular marathon that was the championship final, Stel was well-deserving of his spot on the Championship All-Star Team. During the championship final, Stel cleared the ball over the net while lying out of bounds on his back. As a result of the spectacular play Stel became the first TWU athlete to be featured on Sportsnets AM Three Play, which highlights the days top three plays from the world of sport.Now in his fourth season, Stel is averaging 1.91 kills, 1.35 digs, and 0.65 blocks in the Spartans’ quest to complete their medal collection.

Why did you choose TWU?
I came to TWU because of the volleyball. I heard great reviews on the up and coming Spartans and I wanted to be a part of the tradition and culture. I watched a few games and loved the atmosphere, and then I wanted to be a part of the culture. Another main reason was that I have always valued Christian education and being able to attend a Christian university that is so close to home is a great benefit.

What is some community service or volunteer work you’ve done, and what has it meant to you?
I coached the BC Summer Games team to first place in 2004; coached Fraser Valley Volleyball Club (FVVC) Bantam Boys to first place at Provincials and second at Nationals in 2004; coached Grade 8 and Junior Boys volleyball at Langley Christian High School; and coordinated and coached All-Star Sports Camps in the summer. Helping kids means a lot to me. I love seeing the growth and development of athletes. I like to know that I have had some impact and influence on future athletes. I also love to give back to these athletes. I would not be the volleyball player I am today if it weren’t for the volunteer coaches that I had when I was in high school.

What are some ministry or missions experiences you’ve had, and what have they meant to you?
When I was in Grade 9 I went to Mexico and built a house for a needy family. We also had the opportunity to do drama around the town and allow ourselves to be taken out of our comfort zone and share the love of Christ. I went to Mexico on the premise of building a house, but it meant a lot to me seeing a family with nothing and in a few days have a house to live in. Seeing these people smile from the moment we got there to the moment we left meant a lot. It was a small thing we could do but it meant the world to these people.

What is your favorite Bible verse, and why?
Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” and I Corinthians 13:4-8a “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.”
It is important to me because this was the passage that was open on my friend David’s desk the night he passed away.

What are your athletic goals at TWU?
To win the CIS National Championship! And to be an All–Canadian.

What is your career ambition?
I want to be a P.E teacher. I want to influence children when they are young because I feel that at the younger ages they need someone to look up to. I would also love to play pro volleyball in Europe. It’s a dream not reality.

Who has been the biggest influence in your life, and why?
My family has influenced me the most. They have pushed me to keep going further than I could imagine and pushed me to keep getting better and better. My Dad especially has always wanted to see me succeed. He has been to almost every game that I have played, cheering for his son to win.

What advice would you give to youngsters?
Keep your sights high; the sky’s the limit. Always strive for the best!

What was the greatest moment in your life?
Coaching club and Summer Games....seeing so much improvement in the boys and being able to influence them in any way possible...Getting second place at Club Nationals and First place in BC Summer Games helps!

Last Updated: 2008-01-10
Author: Scott Stewart

JoinSpartans
canadawestTV
Ticket Info
twitter
Facebook
YouTUBE

Upcoming

DateGameTime
MS10-10VICTORIA19:00:00
MV10-10THOMPSON RIVERS20:00:00