Daniel Demian-No Excuses

Men's Basketball
Guard
Second Year
5'8"

If you were to judge Dan Demian by his size, then the 5'8, 143 pound guard would measure as one of the smallest players to get regular playing time not only with the Spartans, but for anybody in the Canada West conference. However, if you were to judge him by his intangibles- heart, intelligence, quickness, and determination- then he would measure as one of the biggest and most important Spartans on TWU men's basketball team.

Demian certainly has been up to the challenge of playing for the Spartans in the ultra-competitive Canada West. A conference known for a big and bruising style of play, the second year guard has excelled at a big man's game by focusing on what he can do instead of what he can't.

"There are so many ways I could make excuses: I am young, I am not the biggest, or I'm not the strongest," says the Glen Eagle Secondary graduate. "I choose to focus on what I do have and always keep very high expectations for myself. If I had chosen to focus on being small or young I would keep making excuses and never improve."

By focusing on his strengths, he certainly has improved. From a wide-eyed rookie in his first CIS experience against UBC last year, Demian has started nine of 12 games for the Spartans this year, and is third on the team playing 300 minutes for an average of 25 per game. A defensive dynamo with his incredible speed, he also takes care of the ball, with just 25 turnovers. These are just a few of the things Demian does well on the court.

"My strengths depend on who I'm playing," says the Coquitlam, B.C. native. "I always have some advantage over my check and it is all about exploiting that. I guess I am quick and see the court well, and both those come from playing soccer my whole life."

Demian was an excellent soccer player in high school, as well as an excellent student. When he enrolled at TWU, he not only wanted the challenge of playing basketball, but he also decided to major in pre-med. Developing the balance between practice, travel, workouts and games as a CIS athlete and the mountains of schoolwork he has to do has been a challenge.

"Honestly that has been my biggest struggle and I don't think I have mastered it, but I am learning," laughs Demian. "I think it is all about hard work and discipline. I know that my teammates always laugh at me when I'm bringing a bag full of books on every road trip and in between games lock myself in the room and study."

Despite the heavy workload and intense studies, Dan has enjoyed his experience at TWU because he appreciates the chance he has, and is working to make the most of it. Being a pre-med major, as well as a Spartan, gives him the opportunity to help the less fortunate.

"Two years ago I went on a missions trip to the heart of Mexico and it was an eye opening experience," Dan recalls. "I think that my parents have always instilled in me a compassion for the less fortunate, probably from my background of a poor country (Egypt). I realize how lucky I am to be going to TWU and have the opportunity to play basketball and a major reason for my choice in program is that I will be able to help others."

A passion for helping others and a drive to succeed are two more intangibles that make Demian an invaluable asset to the Spartans team and the community. Another would be that "Agape" love that TWU students are called to give.

"I am passionate about life," says Demian. "I love my family, love my friends, and love the opportunities that I have in life. I am excited by the fact that I was given every opportunity in life and it all rests on my shoulders to take advantage of that."

All of these qualities make Dan Demian the kind of Spartan, and person, people want to emulate. He shows that no matter how big or small you are you can make a huge difference.

Last Updated: 2008-01-10
Author: Scott Stewart

JoinSpartans
canadawestTV
Ticket Info
twitter
Facebook
YouTUBE

Upcoming

DateGameTime
MS10-10VICTORIA19:00:00
MV10-10THOMPSON RIVERS20:00:00