Keanne Tome - Love of Learning

Keanne Tome

Women's Volleyball
Setter
Fourth Year
5'9"

Keanne Tome loves to learn, and wants those around her to experience the joy of learning in the way she sees it. It's what makes her such a good fit on the Trinity Western University women's volleyball team, as well as what will make her such a good teacher when her volleyball career is through.

Keanne didn't really start playing volleyball until grade 10, a late start when most kids start playing in grade six or seven. She had played a variety of sports growing up, but fell in love with volleyball, and decided at that age to pursue it competitively. Playing club volleyball in Delta, she played just about every position on the court, from power hitter to right side to libero, yet she had aspirations to play yet another position in university.

"I wanted to be a setter, and Trinity offered me a setting position," says Keanne. "TWU was the only school that did, so that's pretty much why I came here!"

And how much experience did she have as a setter?

"Zero, no setting experience," Keanne laughs. "I love challenges though, so it was easy, and my dad was a setter so I got some coaching from him. He taught me some game-plan ideas and coach Ryan helped me with the technical stuff. It was fun."

That passion to not only face a challenge, but also to have fun doing it, was just one of the reasons the Spartans thought Keanne could develop into a good setter at the CIS level.

"We had heard rumors that she was thinking about setting, and I knew she was a fantastic athlete," TWU head coach Ryan Hofer said of his recruitment of Keanne. "What I saw in her personally was a great athlete, a kid who was willing to learn, and was willing to put in the time to become a great setter."

Four years and a lot of hard work later, Keanne is the starting setter for a Spartans team that is ranked sixth in the country, and has aspirations of returning to the CIS National tournament for the third straight year. Coach Hofer is not surprised that things have turned out this way for Keanne: "She had a great base of athleticism plus a desire to do it. You put those two together, and you get great results."

Keanne also has a passion to get great results out of others, especially kids, and would love to be a teacher. Her coach sees this in her interactions with her teammates, as well as with outreach opportunities the team has had.

"She's great with children, and I've seen her do wonderful things with kids and the time she invests with them," says Coach Hofer. "I also see a kid who wants to learn, and with that she's willing to talk about things with the team, and she's willing to discuss things, to hammer stuff out that needs to be talked about, and to help others on the team."

She's especially interested in helping those kids who have difficulties learning. She knows special needs kids have as much talent and potential as the rest, they just need some extra help and guidance to learn, and has already had opportunities to help working for Delta Parks and Rec in the summers, as well as on the team's recent trip to China.

"My younger brother has ADHD so I wanted to work with special needs kids because I want to make a difference with kids who struggle with their learning experience," she says. "We were in China over Christmas, and the kids with special needs are just awesome. Also in the I work I do for Delta Parks and Rec over the summer the kids are so funny and make me laugh, and it's a joy going to work with them everyday."

Her teammates and coaches sure seem to love working with Keanne everyday as they work towards solidifying their seed in the ultra-tough Canada West playoffs this weekend, and beyond. Keanne has never started a playoff match, but it's yet another on one of those challenges she craves, and as she's shown, she always makes the most of those learning opportunities.

Last Updated: 2008-03-06
Author: Scott Stewart

JoinSpartans
canadawestTV
Ticket Info
twitter
Facebook
YouTUBE

Upcoming

DateGameTime
MS10-10VICTORIA19:00:00
MV10-10THOMPSON RIVERS20:00:00