Spotlight - Carmen Dyck

Carmen Dyck

“I don’t know what I’m doing here,” explained Carmen Dyck, one of Trinity Western’s leading women’s volleyball players. “God called me out of the blue to be here, so I’m trusting in him and having fun while I do so.”

Dyck’s call to Trinity is two fold. After her third year at Mt. Royal in Calgary and on the verge of leaving volleyball, she received a phone call that changed her life. “The coach called me and suggested I come to play at Trinity. I prayed on it and just knew it was the right place for me. With several girls graduating, there was an opportunity for me to help lead and develop the girls coming in.”

“The biggest thing in my life is giving glory to God through my sport and through my actions,” said Dyck, an active leader on her team and outside of school. “It’s all about Him.”

Before every game, Dyck and the girls climb into her car and make the trek out to the LLC together. “We put on the music and laugh, it’s not a lot of time but it’s important. We make the time for each other make sure everyone‘s doing alright. We’re a family.”

Dyck carries her respect for God in all her actions. The same call that drives her to play her hardest for Trinity also pushes her to lead in other ways.

During the summers, she works as the Rec Director at Eagles Nest Camp, “I get to guide my staff, these sweet high school kids, on their walk with God. Some of these kids have never heard of God before. They come to this camp and get saved. It’s the most amazing thing.”

“There are three verses that I really live by,” explained Dyck, with a passion in her voice.
“2 Corinthians 12:9-10, 2 Corinthians 3:18, and 1 Corinthians 10:31. They all speak to finding yourself in the glory of God and reflecting that glory.”

Dyck’s inner strength is reflected on the court, driving her to play beyond her best. She is truly a unmistakable asset to Trinity’s team.

Last Updated: 2009-11-19
Author: Breanne Fultz