Video Spotlight - Alexi Foster

Langley, British Columbia - Two years ago, Alexi Foster was a freshman forward just trying to get noticed on a Trinity Western team stocked with quality talent.

The 5-foot-5, Langley, B.C. product had joined the Spartans just in time for their 2008 run to the CIS championship, but on a team with so much skill, playing time was at a premium for Foster.

Throughout the regular season, she had started only three games and in the playoffs had seen a combined total of 18 minutes of action.

Yet, there she was lining up a shoot-out penalty kick in the CIS championship semifinal against Victoria.

And as she took a right-footed rip, there was no way she was going to miss. The ball blew past a diving Vikes keeper and a jubilant Foster took off running in search of a hug from her teammates.  

Foster’s snipe was the second goal of six the Spartans would need to advance to the final but one that will forever been engraved in her memory.

“Just to get put on and get to take a shot was pretty unreal,” Foster said. “It was crazy. I was so nervous. I didn’t really play in the national championships [so] in the semifinal when I got put on in the last minute of overtime and took a penalty and scored, that was pretty cool.”

And as it turned out, that moment was something of a foreshadowing of what she was to become: a Jill of all trades ready at any moment.

Since arriving at TWU as a forward, coach Graham Roxburgh has converted her into a midfielder slash pinch hit defender slash wherever the need may be.

“After coming in as a forward, last year I played centre-mid and then, in the preseason this year, I played centre back due to injuries,” she said. “So, wherever I’m needed I’m good to go.”

And as Foster enters her third year at TWU, her role on the Spartans will likely continue to evolve.

Whether it be more playing time, a bigger leadership capacity or just filling a needed role, Foster is game.

After all, every team can use a utility woman. Especially one who has no problem burying pressure-filled penalty kicks

Last Updated: 2010-12-21
Author: Mark Janzen