Video Spotlight - Jeff Barberis

Langley, British Columbia - Let’s just say, Jeff Barberis took the road rarely, if ever, traveled to find his way onto the Trinity Western men’s hockey team.

Get this.

Barberis was born in Woodland Hills, Calif. – a district of Los Angeles – and was on roller blades by the time he was four years old. He was raised there until he was 15 years old before he moved to Dallas, Texas.

When he was 16 years old, he moved to Penticton and played at the Okanagan Hockey Academy. Then back to Texas before going to play junior hockey in Montana for the Bozeman Icedogs and then in New Jersey for the South Jersey Raptors.

And then, after all that, last year he found himself playing adult hockey in a church league back in Texas.
And now he’s playing at Trinity Western. Umm…right…what?

“I just kept hustling,” Barberis said. “You think you’re not going to make it playing adult league hockey but stuff happened. The coach contacted my coach. Things worked out. He [TWU coach Dwayne Lowdermilk] got to see me play in Dallas. He was impressed with what he saw and now I’m up here.”

But now that the 5-foot-9 forward, who will sport the number seven this year in a Spartans uniform, is at TWU, he’s ready to make a serious impact. In more ways than one.

Barberis is expected to be on one of the top two lines this year and while being an offensive contributor, also a physical presence. Despite his size, knocking around the big boys.

When he was asked how his teammates would label him, Barberis was hoping it was his physical play that stood out.
“They’d probably call me one of the bigger hitters on the team,” he said. “I might be small but I still come with a lot of impact. I’d hope they’d say I’m a big grinder.”

While Barberis says he’s usually a bit of a quiet guy in the locker room, the team is hoping his play will do all the necessary talking.

And if he turns out to be anything like his favourite player from The Mighty Ducks movie, Charlie Conway, Barberis is sure to endear himself to Trinity Western fans in short order.

Last Updated: 2010-12-21
Author: Mark Janzen