Video Spotlight - Natalie Boyd

LANGLEY, British Columbia - If you’re at a Trinity Western women’s soccer game and you hear a whole lot of yelling and screaming in the middle of the pitch, it’s probably Nat Boyd.

And if that same player is running all over the field seemingly determined to make an impact on every single play, it’s probably Nat Boyd.

And if you happen to notice that this particular player never seems to run out of energy…ever…well, Annie, you can bet your bottom dollar that you’re watching midfielder Nat Boyd.

As a rookie last year, Boyd was a Canada West second team all-star. She started 11 of the 12 games she played in. She was second on the team with five assists. And, if she hadn’t injured ligaments in her ankle in the latter half of the season, the accolades would have stacked even higher.

So now, after an off-season that included rehab on her ankle followed by a hectic summer of practicing and playing with both the Vancouver Whitecaps and the Whitecaps reserve team, Boyd is back and being the vocal, hard-working leader that she seemed destined to be.

“I think the biggest thing for me is to display what I want our team to be,” said Boyd, who consistently outlasts her teammates in conditioning drills. “Whether that’s on the field or off the field, I want to use my work ethic to show our team where we want to go.”

Boyd has led the Spartans to a solid start this year – scoring her first goal of the regular season in a 1-0 win over Manitoba – and has been exactly the player and leader she was pegged to be.

Not only is Boyd the type of athlete every coach would want, she’s also very much the type of person every locker room would need. And, despite being only in her second year at TWU, she’s already got a pretty good handle on how to be a leader.

“I think it’s important to find out what motivates each person,” Boyd said. “It’s different for everyone. Some people you have to talk to. Some people you just have to encourage or some people you can yell at. It really depends on the person.”

And so far, she’s figured out which players need what treatment and how to help her team in any way possible.

Through the early portion of the year, the Spartans are working well as a unit and much of that success can be attributed to the 5-foot-5 Sullivan Heights graduate.

And if the Spartans continue to play well and pile up wins, you can bet you’ll see one more unmistakable attribute on the pitch.

You know that player with the big smile who looks to be exhausting herself with effort? it could be any number of Spartans, but it’s probably Nat Boyd.

Last Updated: 2010-12-21
Author: Mark Janzen