Video Spotlight - Brandon Long

LANGLEY, British Columbia - Trinity Western Spartans forward Brandon Long pretty much defines the term rink rat.

If it were up to Long, he’d probably set up a cot at centre ice, have a kitchen in the penalty box and make the rink his home.

Long, who came to TWU this year as a 21-year-old Langley-raised freshman, loves the game of hockey and is about as stereotypical of a hockey player as they come.

He has a clean-cut hairstyle. He plays golf in the off-season. And eats chicken fettuccini alfredo before every game.

And for the Spartans coaching staff, the stereotypical is just fine.

“He is a really skilled player,” said coach Dwayne Lowdermilk. “He loves to be here and he’s a real valuable member of our team.”

After growing up in Langley and playing for the local minor hockey association, Long took his game to Kamloops where he joined the Jr. B Storm. Long spent two years in Kamloops before deciding to return to home and join the nearby Aldergrove Kodiaks.

For Long, it was a wise move as, in his second year, he helped the Kodiaks to a PIJHL championship and a third place showing at the Jr. B provincials.

“It was a hard battle but it was good,” said Long, who actually played defence for most of the year. “You learn just to keep going. Keep it simple. Make the simple plays and keep it positive. And hopefully I can do the same thing here and bring a championship back to Trinity Western.”

The lessons he learned en route to the league championship and doing so while playing defence have paid large dividends this year with the Spartans.

Long, who has one assist in three league games but did manage a goal and two assists in an exhibition game against his former Aldergrove teammates, is equally concerned with the defensive zone as he is the offensive zone.

“I try to be a two-way player,” said Long, who would like to pattern his game after Detroit’s Pavel Datsyuk. “I’d be the passer more than the shooter and setting up guys. I like to stay back and read the play more than getting in there and getting dirty but you have to have that part of your game too.”

While attending TWU, Long is currently taking sports business management classes with the hope of, as you would expect, hanging around the rink forever.

“I want to stay around hockey as much as I can,” Long said. “I’d like to play pro in Europe or play in a pro league in the [United] States after playing here and then after that, I’d like to stick in the game, maybe scout for a team, coach or help manage.

“Anything to stay with the game.”

Last Updated: 2010-12-21
Author: Mark Janzen