Video Spotlight - Sean Langreiger

LANGLEY, British Columbia - Sean Langreiger is one confident individual.

Ask the 19-year-old goalie from Madison, Connecticut about his on-ice goals beyond Trinity Western and his answer is pretty simple.

“I want to make it to the show.”

Simple as that.

Langreiger will be making only his second BCIHL start Saturday afternoon – as he’s been John-Paul Chapman’s backup for the better part of this year – but his early season lack of playing time is hardly discouraging him from stating his blunt ambition of making it to the National Hockey League.

“I want to keep striving towards that,” said the 6-foot-1 Langreiger. “I’m taking it game by game and we’ll see where it will takes me.

“It’s been difficult to try to achieve the starting position, with JP [Chapman] returning as the starter from last year’s team. But I’m just going to try to achieve that spot and try to start for the rest of the year. As for my thoughts [on Saturday’s game]? No biscuits in the basket. I know I need to stop every shot if I want to keep starting.”

Through parts of two games this year – playing a total of 39 minutes thus far – Langreiger has a goals against average of 3.08 and a save percentage of .909. So it’s not as if the Connecticut product has exactly taken the league by storm. Not yet at least.  

But maybe that’s just his style. After all, the path he’s taken just to get to TWU has very few footprints.

Langreiger was born in Las Vegas, Nevada where he lived for the first three years of his life. He then moved to the not-so-much hockey mecca of West Haven, Connecticut, living there for six years, before settling in Madison.

But it was in West Haven, when he was six years old, that he decided to play hockey. And in a football-loving family, it was a bit odd, but for Langreiger, it felt just right.

“I got on skates and I loved it, so I kept going with it,” Langreiger said. “I started off as a centre, worked my way to wing and then defence and then I found myself at goaltending, which I love the most.”

And his final positional transformation didn’t happen until he was 12 years old.

“I was getting frustrated watching our goalies let in so many goals,” said Langreiger, who has long idolized, and tried to pattern his game after, New Jersey Devils goalie Martin Brodeur. “Considering the level we played at, they weren’t ready to stop shots. They were more into it for the fun. I wanted to step in and start winning games.”

He played goalie all through his formative years, played for his high school team, the Daniel Hand Tigers – a school that has arguably the best football team in the state – and then, upon graduating he had it in his mind to head north.

“I knew it was going to be a Canadian university I would be looking towards,” he said. “So when [TWU coach] Dwayne Lowdermilk came calling, it was a great opportunity.”

And the Spartans are thankful he’s arrived.

He’s about as positive as they come. He’s always working hard. And, on Saturday, he hopes to seize his chance in the crease. It’s the next step on a long road, but you know he has no doubt in his mind that he can be the best.

Last Updated: 2010-12-21
Author: Mark Janzen