Video Spotlight - Jacob Doerksen

LANGLEY, British Columbia - If you were to talk to Jacob Doerksen over the phone, you’d probably imagine him to have long, straggly blonde hair and brightly coloured t-shirt, a surfboard within arms reach and a slightly dilapidated car that has just enough gas in it to get him to the beach.

The man you know as the Spartans star basketball player is about as carefree as they come.

He’s relaxed. He’s got a voice that could narrate children’s books. And the fifth-year Abbotsford, B.C. native just likes to play old school video games, watch Forrest Gump, listen to The Beatles and take life as it comes.
But while the 6-foot-6, 230-pound forward has a calm demeanor off the court, on the court, since arriving at Trinity Western in the fall of 2008 via transferring from the University of Victoria, he’s taken the CIS by storm.

In his much publicized first season with the Blue and Gold, Doerksen averaged a double-double per game, averaging 20.5 points and 10.8 rebounds per game, en route to being named CIS men’s basketball player of the year.

Since then, he’s averaged just over 21 points per contest in a season and a half of work and has continued to be a dominant leader on a Spartans team that fully intends to make a run at this year’s CIS championship.

But after two and half years as a Spartan and with pressure to succeed continually amped up, his attitude, both on the hardwood and off it, hasn’t changed.

“I’m more of a free flowing and creative type of guy,” Doerksen said of his basketball style that has him shooting a Canada West leading 68.0 per cent this year. “And that’s what I’m able to do here at Trinity Western.

“We have tough coaches and they’re generally all right to the point, serious kind of guys. But sometimes I think we need to keep it light and that’s what I try to do. We have to work hard but we can’t be all serious all the time”

And now in his third and final year at TWU, it seems to be working for Doerksen – who, for those TMZ-aspiring individuals scaling the CIS gossip tree, is dating former TWU women’s volleyball standout and Canadian national team player Dayna Jansen Van Doorn – and his teammates as they are 11-2 to start the season.

“My first year was okay,” Doerksen said. “I think we still underachieved. But my second year was terrible. This year we’re doing a little better and hopefully that continues.”

But while basketball is what he’s largely known for, it’s not as if the sport itself defines him.

Of course he has ambitions of playing professional abroad after this year – whether that be in Europe or Asia – but you get the feeling it’s not going to be the end of the world for him when basketball is no longer an option.

“It has been one of the defining things in my life since I was young and I think it will be for the next couple years, but I don’t think it will be 30 years down the road,” said Doerksen, who is taking Business at TWU in the accounting stream.

“I don’t like to be certain about the future. I’ll do anything. If I don’t play pro, I’ll travel and work some seasonal jobs for a couple years or whatever.”

Or even the thought of playing in the Canadian Football League has crossed Doerksen’s mind. After all, he did win the B.C. High School Player of the Year award in his senior season when he helped lead Rick Hansen to a AAA Varsity provincial title.

“Hey if the opportunity arose, who knows,” Doerksen said. “If I come back [from abroad] and there’s a chance to play in the CFL, I’d give it a shot.”

Typical Doerksen.

Twenty years from now, who know he Doerksen will be doing. But whatever it is, he’ll likely be doing it with a snicker and a smile.

He may be one of the best university basketball players in Canada, but you sure wouldn’t know it from talking to him. And talking on the phone with him, you’d think he was just a beach bum always at the centre of a good time. And that’s most certainly a compliment.

Last Updated: 2010-12-08
Author: Mark Janzen