Video Spotlight - Mikiah Schalk

LANGLEY, British Columbia - Mikiah Schalk has made it full circle.

It may have taken until his fourth year at Trinity Western, and final year of eligibility, but he’s made it.

Four years after his first foray into the starting unit, the youngest of the five Schalk brothers from Red Deer, Alta. is back on the floor as a starter.

In the fall of 2007, the 6-foot-5, 190-pound Schalk became the last of five brothers to attend TWU and the fourth to play for Spartans – after Jaben, Seth and Chaim – and immediately found himself playing a pivotal role on the left side of the court.

But after Christmas, the Spartans moved the becoming local legend Steve Rogalsky into Schalk’s position and the rookie was relegated to being pretty much just a serving sub for the better part of the next three years.  

Sure, Schalk is now known as the one Spartan who could walk into any gym and without a warm up rip off a biting spin serve, but, despite the specialization notoriety, he would have rather been on the court all the time.

Now he is.

“This is the first year where I’ve really had a starting role,” Schalk said. “It’s been nice for sure. I’m not exactly sure how it’s happened. I’m just happy to be on the road and doing it.

“It was definitely frustrating at times but it wasn’t really up to me so I put it behind me and tried to focus on the next game and try to make the team better. It’s how team does in the end. It’s not how you do personally.”

And while Schalk has been a contributing force all year, with his powerful serve and unrelenting attack both off the bench and as a starter, he's not so concerned about his own statistics. For that matter individuality was never so much his thing.

Not that he lacks independence, but growing up in a family with four other brothers fostered in him a love for community, at least when his siblings weren’t shooting pellet guns at him.

“It was exciting. I really liked [living with four brothers] actually,” Schalk said. “It’s just so good to be tight with that many guys and to have them influence me in ways they did. They’re also pretty much the reason why I’m into volleyball today.

“I remember back in the day when we used to play on our little grass court and I wasn’t good enough at the time so I had to catch the ball and toss it to my brothers, but I was always trying to hang out with them.”

Eventually they allowed him to actually hit the ball and, now, several years later, he’s doing it pretty well.

After going to King’s University College for his first year after high school, he came to TWU and, while he it may have taken until his final year to see significant playing time, has loved his time here.
It’s just a big family.

“I think the community is the best part of the school,” said Schalk who plans to be an elementary school teacher after graduating. “Sure the academic part is great too and you’re going to come out with a great degree but it’s the community itself that really brought me to Trinity Western. And the fact that we’re a Christian community makes it even that much better.”

Last Updated: 2011-02-17
Author: Mark Janzen