Video Spotlight - Corina Reimer

LANGLEY, British Columbia - Corina Reimer was the Deion Sanders of MEI (Mennonite Educational Institute).

Sure she likely didn’t get beckoned in the halls by the nickname Prime Time but the 6-foot-2 Abbotsford, B.C. product was a pretty darn talented two-sport athlete.

The difference from Deion is that, for Reimer, instead of football it was basketball and instead of baseball it was volleyball.

But upon graduation from high school, Reimer didn’t have Sanders fortune of alternating seasons. She had to make a decision.

“It was a tough choice,” said Reimer, who is the only fifth-year on this year’s TWU women’s basketball team. “I had narrowed it down to Trinity Western but I just wasn’t sure what I was going to play or what wanted to play. Lots of thought. Lots of talking to people and asking other two-sport athletes and seeing what made them choose and lots of praying.”

While she was obviously a highly talented basketball player, she was just as good of a volleyball player, proven by the fact that going into her Grade 12 year she had been an alternate on the Canadian junior national team.

But with the decision still in the air, Reimer went to the HSBC Basketball Classic tournament and, after an outstanding performance, won the prestigious HSBC scholarship. And the pendulum swung towards the orange ball.

“I do miss [volleyball] quite a bit,” said Reimer. ”But if I would have chosen volleyball, I would have missed basketball so either way it would have been tough.”

And five years at Trinity Western and despite having three coaches in her Spartans career – she was recruited by and played the first year under Danielle Gardner, spent the next three years playing for Kerby Court and now in her final year she’s coached by Cheryl Jean-Paul – she ‘s happy she chose the sport of basketball.

Although she’s only made the playoffs once in her tenure with the TWU women’s basketball program, her career average thus far of 15.7 minutes per game, 4.9 rebounds per game and 4.7 points per game has made a serious impact.

She holds the TWU record for most free throws attempted in a game with 17 – accumulating this during a career-high 20-point outing in her rookie season on Dec. 1, 2006 against UCFV – and is tied for the school record for most rebounds in a game with 16. And she’s done it twice: her first time was  against Thompson Rivers on Nov. 17, 2007 and then she accomplished the feat again against Westmont on Dec. 17, 2007.

She’s also second on the all-time list for most rebounds with 456 and is only 14 rebounds shy of passing Samantha Hill and taking over top spot. Oh and she’s only five blocked shots away from tying Hill’s career record of 45.

“She’s had some phenomenal years at Trinity Western,” Jean-Paul said. “And every once in a while we see these moments of pure athleticism where she’s just blocked someone and you’re like ‘Whoa! Where did that come from?”

Now in her final season, the aspiring Grade 2 teacher is trying to go out with a bang. And, especially lately, she’s doing just that.

In her last four games she’s averaged nearly 21 minutes per game and 6.0 rebounds per game and has been part of the starting five in each of the last three games.

“My career here has been a whirlwind,” Reimer said. “It’s gone by so fast and I can’t believe I’m in my fifth year. I feel I’ve been here for a lot of growth and some of my best friends are playing and were playing here.”

In the end, who knows what she could have done on the volleyball court? But for both Reimer, and the women’s basketball team, it all turned out just fine.

Last Updated: 2010-12-20
Author: Mark Janzen