Video Spotlight - Melissa Mobilio

LANGLEY, British Columbia - Melissa Mobilio embodies what the Trinity Western women’s soccer team is all about.

And as, Spartans coach Graham Roxburgh says, “She is a gem.”

Mobilio, who hails from Coquitlam, B.C., is humble leader, who has an incredible drive to succeed, a passion for God, a bright personally and, for the last four years, has been weaving a brilliant tapestry within the Spartans midfield.

The 5-foot-6 midfielder, who started 14 games last year and scored two goals – both of which came via penalty kicks – has been a part of two national championship winning teams, in 2008 and 2009, she has twice been named to Canada’s FISU team, in 2009 and 2011, and this past off-season Roxburgh named her the team captain for this her fifth and final year playing for the Spartans.

If there was ever a person who best fit the role of team captain for a squad that may be one of the tightest knit units ever to grace a soccer pitch, Mobilio would be that individual.

“I think from Day 1, Melissa has had leadership characteristics that have stood out for us,” Roxburgh said. “She certainly has the will to win but I think what impresses me the most is not only has she proven to be successful but she has done it in a manner that represents Trinity Western well.

“I think people have such a healthy respect for her that every player – whether it’s a rookie who is looking up to her or one of her peers who has played alongside her – just says, ‘Wow, if Melissa can do this, we’re going to join her.’”

Tonight, Mobilio will start her last Canada West regular season and will be in the lineup for her last home opener at Trinity Western.

And the matchup couldn’t be more fitting as archrival UBC, a school she had once considered playing for, will provide the opposition.

“I’m anxious to get our competition started,” Mobilio said as she looked forward to both tonight’s game and the rest of the season. “I’m nervous. I’m sad. I’m happy. I’m a lot of emotions because it’s my last go at a competitive level like this and my last two months with all these girls that I’ve pretty much spent every single day with over the last five years.

“Most importantly, though I’m ready to leave an impact with the girls and leave and impact on the CIS.”

That is certainly something within her grasp.

After missing out on last year’s CIS championship tournament following back-to-back national titles, the Spartans enter this season keen to make up for last year’s missed opportunity.

And Mobilio, who is the cousin of the late former Vancouver 86ers and Canadian national team legend Domenic Mobilio, is leading the pack.

“I love the challenge,” said Mobilio, who plans to pursue either teaching or occupational therapy upon graduation. “I love the responsibility. Growing up I’ve aspired to always be a leader so to be in this position and to be able to lead these girls, I’m grateful and really excited.

“These girls are the most incredible people. They’re my family and I think the greatest thing is we would do anything for each other and to have that mentality on and off the field is unreal.”

For Mobilio this is what it’s all about.

She started playing soccer when she was five years old and, now it’s become a part of who she is. No matter what she ends up doing beyond TWU, soccer will always be close by, whether that be coaching or playing.

But that “future” is still a ways off. Right now, the focus is on this season and getting back to the top. And, specifically, tonight’s game.

Playing for Canada at the FISU Games in China this past summer Mobilio teamed with current Thunderbird forward Janine Frazao. So tonight she’ll meet her again, this time as opponents, but while they were friends this summer, Mobilio was blunt about her expectations. 

“It’ll be fun because we know each and we can joke out there but at the same time I’m going to make sure we beat her.”

And from Mobilio, and the Spartans who follow her lead, that’s exactly the attitude ones comes to expect.

-TW-

Last Updated: 2011-09-12
Author: Mark Janzen