Video Spotlight - Nick Del Bianco

LANGLEY, British Columbia - Nick Del Bianco has long been considered one of the hottest up-and-coming volleyball start in the country. After a breakout campaign in his third year with Trinity Western – one in which finished fifth in Canada West averaging 4.30 points per set – Del Bianco has returned for his fourth year as one of the Spartans key leaders, both on and off the court.

A dominant player on the outside, Del Bianco has established himself as an individual on the court. Now, as part of the next cycle of senior leadership, he will be looked upon to help the Spartans reestablish their position at the top of the CIS mountain.

Through six matches, Del Bianco has helped the Spartans to a 6-0 record and, along the way, has averaged 5.02 points per set, which has him third in the conference.

Del Bianco sat down this week to talk about the Spartans early-season success and his new leadership role on a suddenly surging Spartans team.

Your team has earned six straight games against some impressive competition in UBC,  Saskatchewan and Alberta. What has gone well early on?

“We’ve been playing really well as a team. In the preseason, during a few of the tougher games we had, we weren’t spreading the ball as much and we weren’t getting touches from everyone. Now I feel everyone is contributing and everyone is playing well together. It’s really a full team effort.

“I think our serving game has worked well so far and we’ve really been able to put a lot of pressure on other team’s passers. Our offence has been clicking lately. We’ve developed a little bit of a faster style of offence than last year and we’ve been pretty efficient with it. All 15 players are contributing and we’re putting together a full team effort.”

You lose players like Dan Jansen Van Doorn, Steven Marshall and Jarrod Offereins from last year’s squad. What has the transition been like with a new leadership core?

“It’s been an interesting transition for sure. We’ve been in the process of identifying what we’ve liked from previous leaders and how we want to create our own form of leadership from them.”

What’s it like to be a fourth-year player who is relied upon as a leader?

“Overall, it’s been an awesome experience. It feels like yesterday when I was a first year and I could just lean on anyone else when I was in trouble. I know I have to lean on myself a bit more and I like that experience.

“It definitely adds more pressure to the game and I enjoy trying to help others battle through their own pressures. I think our leadership group and our young guys are doing a good job of working together to overcome the pressures we’re facing.”

What’s has the vibe been like around this year’s team?

“I think this year’s team is definitely a close-knit team. We’re a big group of brothers and we’re all striving for the same purpose. I feel that there is a definite goal in mind for all of us and we’re all pushing toward it together.”

-TW-

Last Updated: 2013-11-13
Author: Mark Janzen

JoinSpartans
canadawestTV
Ticket Info
twitter
Facebook
YouTUBE

Upcoming

DateGameTime
MS10-10VICTORIA19:00:00