Box Score

Scheduled Game: WHITECAPS

Game Recap

Game Recap

WOMEN’S SOCCER
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, 2014
FRIENDLY
TRINITY WESTERN (2) WHITECAPS FC GIRLS ELITE (2)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SPARTANS RALLY TO EARN TIE WITH WHITECAPS GIRLS ELITE

LANGLEY, British Columbia – The Trinity Western women’s soccer team battled back from a two-goal deficit to earn a 2-2 tie with the Whitecaps FC Girls Elite in a friendly Friday at Rogers Park.

Trailing 2-0, the Spartans Alessandra Oliverio (Calgary) scored from the penalty spot to spark the TWU comeback with 20 minutes to play.

Then, with seven minutes left in the match, Isabella Di Trocchio (Burnaby, B.C.) tallied the equaliser.

“It was a really entertaining game and I’m quite happy to see our team rally to earn a tie,” said Spartans coach Graham Roxburgh. “I thought our players who came in as substitutes really provided some good energy, but give credit to the Whitecaps. We made two mistakes and they punished us on both.

“We were really good early on and missed some glorious chances, but I thought our possession and our pace was excellent. The Whitecaps are a very good team and full of talent and it was just a really good friendly.”

Trinity Western is now unbeaten in their last five contests (3-0-2), including their first four regular season contests.

The Spartans return to Canada West league play next weekend when they host UBC Okanagan Sept. 26 and Thompson Rivers Sept. 27. Both matches start at 5 p.m. and can be seen live at www.twu.canadawest.tv.

-TW-

Play-by-Play

Play-by-Play

Photo Gallery

Photo Gallery