Clinic Policies


Who Can Access Health Services?

Health Services are available to all TWU students, staff and faculty. For students our doctors can be your “family doctor” while you are in school. For faculty and staff, our doctors can provide urgent or intermittent care, but are not to replace your family physician.


What do I do if I want to see a doctor or nurse?

You can book an appointment through the Wellness Centre (604-513-2024) or by drop in during office hours. By calling ahead, you will avoid wait periods.


Health Cards

Please remember to bring your Health Card with you when visiting the Health Clinic. Proof of insurance is required to prevent being billed for insured services.  For more information about the Provincial Medical Insurance click here


Fees for Service?

Every Canadian resident is required by law to have provincial medical insurance. This entitles you to be treated at any clinic, hospital or lab in Canada free of charge, for most services, including the medical clinic in Trinity Western’s Wellness Centre. Some medical services such as insurance exams; sports, foreign university, or pre-employment physicals, are not covered by provincial medical insurance and will be charged to the patient.  



All records within Health Services are confidential. Personal information can only be released outside the Centre with your written consent. Exceptions are only made in the case of life threatening emergencies or as required by law and/or public health regulations.


Documentation of Illness for Academic Concession

If you have had an injury or illness that has interfered with your studies, the registrar’s office or a professor may request documentation from the healthcare provider.

A healthcare provider can only document care that they have personally provided at the time of illness or injury. If this was a Doctor or nurse at TWU’s Wellness Centre then they will usually be able to provide a letter for you. If you received care from other providers, documentation must come from them.

The doctors or nurse at TWU’s Wellness Centre cannot document care they have not provided. They also cannot document nonmedical issues such as a family crisis unless this has had a negative impact on the student’s health that they have already been involved in the care of.

For many common illnesses such as migraines, menstrual cramps or brief “stomach flu” , professional healthcare may not be required. Professors are discouraged from asking students to seek care under such circumstances solely for documention purposes. This adds to the discomfort of the patient and may unnecessarily expose others to infectious disease.



1)      A student was ill and cared for by their family doctor or a clinic doctor. Documentation can only be provided by these doctors.

2)      A student reports illness or injury that interfered with their studies but was not attended to by healthcare professional at that time. There is no documentation available in this circumstance.

3)      A student experiences a family or personal crisis that triggers depression that impairs the student’s cognitive ability. They seek medical and/or counselling care through the Wellness Centre over the course of this illness. As a part of this care the provider may recommend a reduction in course load, which they would provide documentation to support.

4)      A student experiences a family or personal crisis that they feel has interfered with their studies. Perhaps they have had to travel home for a period of time because of this. If there has been no healthcare professional involved, then there can be no documentation from a healthcare perspective. Perhaps under some circumstances there may be non-medical documentation that could be provided from other sources.


Sharp Containers

Some students on campus may require the utilization of syringes due to a medical condition. For the safety of our campus community, it is a requirement that anyone utilizing syringes ensure they are safely disposed of in designated Sharps Containers. These containers are available free of charge to anyone who requests one through TWU’s Wellness Centre. 


After Hours Care

If you have a medical problem that you feel can't wait until our next regular office hours, here's some options:

  • Visit or dial 8-1-1. HEALTHLINKBC is a Non Emergency Resource designed for residents of BC.
  • If it's a new problem:

 - one of the nearby "walk-in" clinics are available for minor problems up to ~ 9PM  (see clinics listed below)

- the emergency department at Langley Memorial Hospital  is open 24/7 and has a "fast track" for urgent minor problems as well as usual emergency room care. (See address below)

-campus security provides 24/7 First Aid coverage for the campus -call security at 604 513-2099 or Campus Security

  • If it's a problem which has been cared for recently by Dr. Hitchman in our clinic, he may be paged by phoning the clinic # 604 513-2024


  Langley Memorial Hospital
  22051 Fraser Hwy


Off-Campus Medical Clinics

   Glover Medical Clinic
   101-5796 Glover Mon - Fri, 8 am - 9 pm
   Weekends / holidays, 9 am - 5 pm

Grove Medical Clinic
401-21183 88th Ave
Mon – Fri, 9 am - 9 pm
Weekends / holidays, 9 am - 5 pm

   Redwoods Medical Clinic
   #101-8814 216th Street
   Mon - Fri, 9 am - 9 pm
   Weekends / holidays, 10 am - 6 pm

Valley Medical Clinic
#109-20151 Fraser Hwy
Mon - Fri, 9 am - 8 pm
Sat, 9 am - 7 pm
Sundays / holidays, 10 am - 6 pm


Willoughby Medical Centre


Mon-Thurs 9am-9pm, Fri 9am-7pm

Sat/Sun/holidays 10 am-6 pm




Communicable Disease Policy 

For Full Policy Click Here

·        While the health status information of any student, staff or faculty member is held in the strictest confidence, the University is also committed to protect the health and safety of other community members in our close living, working and teaching environment.

·        The University, in conjunction with the local Public Health Office, will give students, staff and faculty appropriate information, as needed, on reportable communicable infections or diseases.

·        The University will meet all legal requirements of the local Public Health Office for quarantine or isolation of any student, staff or faculty infected with a contagious disease.

·        The University recognizes that those infected with a communicable disease may benefit from specific medical and counselling care. The university encourages anyone affected by these conditions to access services through their health care provider or the medical and counselling staff in the Wellness Centre on campus.