International Admission Requirements

If you're looking for a world-class education in an engaging environment, you've come to the right place. TWU's professors are leaders in their fields and our campus is in one of the best locations in Canada.

Education Quality Assurance (EQA) logoTWU is recognized under the B.C. Ministry of Advanced Education's Education Quality Assurance (EQA) designation for providing quality post-secondary education.

Below you'll find important information about getting into TWU. For more details on programming, please go to our International Student's website or contact our Admissions office.


General Certificate of Education
English Proficiency Requirement
TOEFL Requirements
IELTS Requirements
CAEL Requirements
ESL Proficiency Exam
Academic ESL Requirements
International Transfer Credit Evaluations


General Certificate of Education

Students must have standing in five subjects of which at least two must be taken at the Advanced level.

Students may be eligible for three semester hours of credit for each Advanced level course completed to a maximum of 12 semester hours provided that a minimum grade of C is achieved in that course. Departments will determine if credit awarded is general or course specific.

The following equivalents will be considered:

  1. School Certificate: same as GCE with at least two passes at the principal level of the Higher School Certificate.
  2. Certificate of matriculation from recognized universities.
  3. International Baccalaureate with at least two subjects at the higher level.
  4. Other countries: write or email the Admissions Office for information.



Official supporting documentation must be submitted. Documents that cannot be replaced should be sent via registered mail.


English Proficiency Requirement

Applicants must possess proficiency in both oral and written academic English. Those applicants whose native language is not English are normally required to demonstrate this proficiency, regardless of their academic qualifications. TWU accepts official original results from TOEFL, IELTS, and CAEL. These results must be submitted at the time of application. Applicants may also complete the academic TWU/ESL program (see below - Academic ESL Requirements). Students must also complete ENGL 101 and one of ENGL 103 or 104 at Trinity Western University in their first year.

Proof of English language proficiency is required from all international students with the exception of natives of:

  • Australia
  • Ireland
  • New Zealand
  • United States
  • United Kingdom
  • Countries of the West Indies except Cuba, Dominican Republic, Haiti, Martinique, Netherlands Antilles, Puerto Rico, St. Lucia

In the case of those who are not native to these countries but who have studied at a high school or post-secondary level in one of them, proof of English language proficiency is still required if less than four years of study have been completed. In cases of four years or more, their completed application will be reviewed and the language requirement may be waived. Students must submit a letter of appeal requesting this requirement be waived. If it is waived, the student must normally complete ENGL 101 in his or her first semester.


TOEFL Requirements

Normally, regular admission requires a TOEFL score of at least 570 (230 computer-based, or 88 Internet-based) and a Test of Written English (TWE) score of at least 5. If the TWE score is less than 5, the student may be admitted to the University, but is required to write a Diagnostic Test for placement in the appropriate first year English course. The test is written during Orientation Week. Students who score at least 600 are not required to submit a TWE score. Students who are required to write the Diagnostic Test, but fail to do so during Orientation Week, are placed in Writing 101 or English 101..

Students taking the iBT must achieve a minimum score of 21 in each of the four areas with a total overall score of 88.

For more information about TOEFL examinations, please contact:

Educational Testing Service Box 899
Princeton, New Jersey 08541
Tel: 609.771.7100
Web site:

To send TOEFL results directly to Trinity Western University and to receive them more quickly, students should use code 0876.


IELTS Requirement

Trinity Western University will accept the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score report as an alternative to TOEFL. A minimum score of 6.5 (with no part less than 6) is required for admission. For more information on the IELTS test, visit


CAEL Requirement

Trinity Western University accepts the Canadian Academic English Language score as an alternative to the TOEFL or IELTS. A minimum score of 70 is required for admission, with no score lower than 60 for undergraduate admissions. For more information on the CAEL test, go to


Academic ESL Requirements

Students whose TOEFL, IELTS or CAEL scores do not meet the minimum requirement but who qualify academically to attend TWU may seek entrance to the University through the English as a Second Language International (ESLI) program at Trinity Western. These students must register with ESLI and will be assessed regarding their English skills during Orientation, at which time they will be placed in the appropriate ESL level. Upon completion of level 5, they may enrol in a degree program without a TOEFL, IELTS or CAEL score.


International Transfer Credit Evaluations

Transfer credit from international schools must be assessed by an external international credit evaluation agency. All transcripts sent to an international credit evaluation agency must be official documentation. International evaluation reports that are based on unofficial transcripts will not be accepted for transfer credit.

To avoid delays in receiving transfer credit, students should submit an international credit evaluation report during the admission process. The cost is determined by the agency.

TWU recommends the International Credential Evaluation Service (ICES) through BCIT, a member of the Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada. This agency conducts evaluations for several B.C. universities. They may be contacted at

Students are welcome to use World Education Services (WES), International Qualifications Assessment Services (IQAS), International Credentials Assessment Services, or any evaluation agency that is a member of the Alliance of Credential Services of Canada.